East Falls Loop
A popular ride among locals, this route is ideal for weekends when MLK Jr. Drive is closed to automobiles! The route is mostly flat and takes approximately an hour for the average cyclist. Please note that Kelly Drive and MLK Jr. Drive are popular locations for regattas and other events, so they may be crowded or closed on certain days.
- From the north end of Schuylkill Banks, stay on the trail and ride/walk/run under the MLK Jr. Drive and Spring Garden Street Bridges, continue on the trail past the Fairmount Water Works and Lloyd Hall.
- Turn left at Lloyd Hall to stay on the Schuylkill River Trail.
- Continue along the Kelly Drive portion of the Schuylkill River Trail approximately four miles until you reach the East Falls Bridge.
- Cross the East Falls Bridge – being careful of traffic – and turn left onto MLK Jr. Drive (or the MLK Jr. Drive portion of the trail).
- Take MLK Jr. Drive approximately four miles until it takes you back across the Schuylkill River to Schuylkill Banks. Note that this is a narrow bridge - be aware of traffic, especially when the road is not closed to vehicle traffic.
This loop is eight miles from the Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA) and back to the museum. It is 11.2 miles from Locust Street to the PMA, around the loop and back to Locust Street.